Choosing the Right Roofing Contractor
Your roof is your building’s first line of defense against many natural hazards, but it’s also one of the most vulnerable elements.
To keep your roof from failing when put to the test by severe weather, it should be periodically inspected and repaired or replaced when necessary.
Repairing or replacing a roof can be a daunting task. Choosing a dependable roof contractor with a track record of ethical business practices and quality work will make the job less stressful, but how do you choose the right company?
This checklist will help you make an informed decision:
• It’s really tempting to go with the lowest bidder, but a subpar job will cost you a lot more money and frustration in the long run. Make sure you look at factors other than price.
• Make sure the contractor you hire has experience with jobs that are similar to yours.
• Look at projects they’ve completed in the recent past and get references so you can verify that the owners of those structures were satisfied with the contractor’s work.
• Ask to see the company’s certificates of insurance and make sure their liability and workers’ compensation insurance are current.
• Ask about available material warranties from the different manufacturers and installation warranties from the contractor.
• Choose a contractor that’s been around for a while. Experience and reputation matter.
• Make sure the contractor has an emergency plan that includes securing or removing any loose materials if faced with the threat of severe weather during the installation period.
• If you have a Board of Directors and/or a Management Company, have them meet in person to review the proposal and meet with the contractor.
• Narrow your search by looking only at contractors from your area.
Good contractors are busy. If someone has to travel a great distance for a job, they’re probably not the most in-demand or reputable contractor. Local contractors are there when you need them, they know the local permitting requirements, and they have a stake in the wellbeing of your community.
For more information, call Florida Southern Roofing at 941-954-8811 or visit www.floridaroofing.com.